Sunday, September 22, 2019

Short Paddle at Pelican Point

My hubby and I did a quick morning paddle at Pelican Point in Point Clear, Alabama. We decided to not stay out long because the water was choppy and the wind was insistent on blowing us into the marsh. Nonetheless, it's always good to be out on the water.





There really are quite a few pelicans that hang out at Pelican Point. I was excited and eager to snap some photos, but I quickly noticed that the fishermen found the pelicans to be a nuisance. I spotted a bunch of pelicans resting in a sunny spot and quietly began tip-toeing around the rocks toward them, camera in hand. As I was about to snap my first photo, a fisherwoman bounded in from the other side, waving her arms at the pelicans, yelling, "Shoo! Scat! Go on, get out of here!" I quickly snapped a few photos as they flew away, but decided to go ahead and shoo myself along, too, and let her fish in peace.

If the weather is nice enough, my hubby and I will be attending the annual Weeks Bay Foundation Coastal Clean up at Pelican Point on February 15th, 2020. I'm a fair weather kayaker, so we'll see--it can get pretty chilly out on the water in February; but, my husband and I rarely ever leave the water without hauling out some trash. We even take those long grabbers that look like robot arms out with us to pick up trash and driftwood. So, regardless, if we make it to the Coastal Cleanup day or not, we'll always be doing our part to keep our coastal waters beautiful and safe for marine life.

Until next time.
Carpe diem, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment