Tuesday, September 3, 2019

Ellie the Mer-Dog

Ellie is full of energy and ever curiosity about the world around her.

She is also my shadow.

In fact, right now, as I'm typing, she is conveniently perched on the sofa where she has the best view of where I'm sitting. Occasionally, I'll glance up and there she is, big brown, unblinking puppy dog eyes bearing into my soul.

She may have some mild attachment issues, but the poor thing lived through a traumatic experience before her adoption into our family. She's a survivor and her willingness to love again with her broken little heart has given me strength to cope and deal with hard things in my life, too.

Being my shadow, Ellie gets to go wherever I go, as long as it's safe and dogs are allowed. I was hesitant to take her kayaking with me. I didn't know how she would react to being on the water and I have a fantasy fear of her leaping out of the kayak to attack an alligator. That said, I've not once seen an alligator while kayaking.

Since I've seen lots of people taking their dogs out on Fly Creek, I decided that it's probably a pretty safe place for Ellie to join me in the kayak.

Her first paddle was fantastic. She was a little nervous, and only got upset when our group got too far away from one another. Each time out on the water, she gets a little more comfortable with getting in and out of the kayak at the launch and being out on the water.


2020 is the year of the RV for our family. I can't wait to take Ellie and Biscuit (my senior dog) RVing in the mountains.

Until next time.
Carpe diem, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment