Thursday, June 20, 2019

Nature Journal: Pelicans

Pelicans have been on my mind recently. They are such fascinating, funny-looking creatures. I'll never tire of watching them lazily sunning on posts or flying over the bay and diving into the water to fish.

Pelicans often hang around the causeway and the I-10 bridge. As I drive over the delta into Mobile once a week for a work-related errand, I admire their freedom, out in the fresh air, surrounded by shimmering blue waters and open skies; knowing that it will only be a brief few days before I'm out on the water in my kayak, just as free to roam and explore.

When I stop to reflect on the personality traits of pelicans, I think of them as unapologetic and confident in their every action. Have you ever seen an indecisive pelican? I haven't. Maybe I'm drawn to them because I would like more of my own day-to-day interactions with the world to reflect the laid back, cool as a cucumber, blasé confidence of the pelican. 

My inspiration for this watercolor sketch came from a photo of a brown pelican taken by photographer Greg Lavaty.


Until next time.
Carpe diem, my friend!

No comments:

Post a Comment